Tags
In last week’s post, we examined both the opposition to the London County Council’s new Kingswood Estate in West Dulwich and the high hopes placed in it. Whilst new tenants experienced their new homes in the developing estate in generally positive terms, architectural commentators were almost universally critical.
In dry but telling detail, the LCC delineated the shape of the new estate: (1)
The total number of dwellings is 784, consisting of 690 flats and maisonettes, 92 cottages and two houses. The accommodation includes 26 3- and 4-storey blocks of flats of balcony and staircase access type; two 3-storey blocks with maisonettes and shops on the ground floor and maisonettes over; one three-storey block of maisonettes and flats, and three 2-storey blocks of flats.
What is most notable in that account is the preponderance of three- and four-storey (principally four-storey) tenement blocks. The restriction to four storeys reflected some sensitivity to the estate’s location – the lower-rise blocks situated on low-lying ground ensured that the estate could not be seen from College Road. But the exclusive use of low blocks restricted the possibility of genuinely mixed development of the type that the LCC had promised.
The area was zoned in the County of London Plan at 100 persons per acre with an assumption that blocks (with the lifts previously excluded in working-class housing) might rise to eight storeys. As Nicholas Merthyr Day has calculated, this formula permitted almost 56 percent of dwellings as houses. In Kingswood, by contrast, just 12 percent were houses and some 80 percent of homes were located in those three- and four-storey blocks. (2)

As Merthyr Day concludes
The Kingswood Estate therefore failed to produce a high degree of ‘mix’ in the types of dwelling used, nor to exploit the relatively low overall density figure to achieve a high proportion of houses to flats. This resulted in a fairly monotonous layout dominated by four-storey blocks. This effect is only relieved by the mature trees and planting and the retention of Kingswood House in the middle of the estate to act as a community centre.
Beyond its overall form, many were critical of the style of the estate; it was, in essence and despite minor ‘modernising’ accretions, a reprise of by now very traditional interwar neo-Georgian tenement block design.
The architect David Freeman cried out that: (3)
Surely the time has come to break with the ‘naked Georgian’ devotional treatment? Why cannot the elevations be frankly modern? Why the small panel windows? Why the glazing bars?

Whilst British public housing had been largely immune to Modern Movement influences from the Continent in the 1930s, planners and architects assumed that a post-war Britain breaking from its socially conservative past would embrace such innovation. The LCC’s early post-war housing came, therefore, as a great disappointment.
Though S. Howard (Housing Architect), J.W. Oatley (Senior Architect) and A.E. Long (Architect-in-charge) of the LCC’s Chief Architect’s Department were credited with the design of the Kingsdown Estate, the actual villain of the piece was LCC Valuer Cyril Walker. Walker had had been appointed in November 1945, in combination with his existing role, Director of Housing and Chief Officer responsible for Housing Operations. The Council’s Chief Architect, JH Forshaw (co-author of the County of London Plan) was to report directly to Walker for a trial period of three years. (4)
The laudable intent was to rationalise planning and design functions and maximise housing output. The unintended (though arguably implied and accepted) consequence, given Walker’s cost-driven agenda and disdain for architectural ambition, was to build housing at scale in very conservative form. The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors praised the scheme for having built some 18,000 permanent homes in severely straitened times. Architectural opinion was uniformly hostile.
Woodberry Down, begun in 1948, was one heavily criticised estate of the era. The Kingswood Estate, still largely unbuilt, was another. In Merthyr Day’s words, at Kingswood:
As at Woodberry Down, the architects in Walker’s Housing and Valuation Department produced an additive and derivative style that failed to be either consistently modern or traditional.
Matters came to a head with the LCC’s County Hall exhibition of post-war housing in 1949. The Architects’ Journal, always critical of the decision to sideline architectural expertise for obvious reasons, led the charge. JM Richards, its editor, decried it as: (5)
One of the biggest tragedies of our time that the great rebuilding opportunity we were faced with after the war is being frittered away by the substitution of a policy of mere expedience for proper planning and by sheer bad architecture.
And, whatever the quantity, there were very few prepared to defend the quality of the LCC’s housing output. Duly chastened, the LCC returned housing design to Forshaw’s successor as Chief Architect, Robert Matthew. In the 1950s, the LCC’s Architect’s Department became the largest and most prestigious architectural practice in the world.
All this may have seemed largely academic to the new residents of the Kingsdown Estate. By 1951, three blocks (Julian, Holberry and Kinsey Houses) were completed and some 180 families were in residence.
Mrs Simner, who had moved from Peckham with her husband and three children commented: (6)
It’s a bit lonely here at present but it will be different when all the houses and flats are up and occupied. We shall soon want a community centre and a bit more entertainment.
Another new arrival embraced the estate’s leafy surrounds: ‘The place is so spacious. All these lovely woodlands make the place so inviting’. Rents ranged from 26 shillings a week for a two-bed home (something over £40 a week in contemporary terms) to 37s a week for a three-bed home (around £60 a week).
The shops at Upper Norwood were said to be convenient which was just as well as the shopping parade wasn’t begun until the second phase of construction after 1950 and new leases ‘to complete the shopping centre’ were being advertised as late as October 1956. (7) The current depleted state of the parade marks more recent consumer trends.
The estate’s two new schools, designed by the Schools Division of the Architect’s Department, exhibited the LCC’s architectural prowess in a way that the estate itself had not. The first, a primary school catering for 700 pupils, opened in 1951 – a light and airy, steel-frame glass and concrete design featured in the Architects’ Journal. Marking its moment, the school incorporated two artworks from the recent Festival of Britain, ‘Plankton’ by Gerald Haltom and ‘Marmalade Cat’ by Katheen Hale. (8)
Kingsdale School, opened in 1958, one of the first purpose-built comprehensive schools in the country, followed the same modernist design principles and demonstrated similar design ambition with its sunken floor assembly hall and a central ‘quad’ featuring William Turnbull’s ‘Sungazer’ sculpture. (An innovative and award-winning renovation of the building including a spectacular translucent ‘skin’ over the quadrangle occurred in the early 2000s.) (9)
But the estate’s centrepiece and the feature that made an otherwise unremarkable estate something special was Kingswood House. It was acquired by Camberwell Metropolitan Borough Council which established a library in the building, officially opened by Peter Ustinov in September 1956. Alderman GS Burden, the Council’s leader, celebrated the fact that: (10)
Kingswood House is now what it should be – a house for the community and not something reserved for one select and privileged family
In other respects, the use of the House was contested. An active tenants’ association wanted the building used primarily for its own welfare and recreational activities and opposed the inclusion of the licensed bar apparently sought by those who hoped it might function more as a social club. (11)
In fact, the estate stayed ‘dry’ until 1958 when an off-licence was permitted in the shopping parade. The first pub, named after former local resident Sir Ernest Shackleton, opened at 122 Bowen Drive in 1962. It was a popular local until its closure in 2006 and subsequent demolition.
Kingswood House, Grade II-listed, stands but in changing times its use remains problematic. Southwark Council, Camberwell’s successor in 1965, transferred the library to the nearby shopping parade in 2020. Kingswood Arts, a non-profit social enterprise that took over the venue as an arts centre in 2022, went into receivership last year. A re-formed organisation is currently running a reduced programme of events and activities. (12)
The estate itself has grown old. A local press headline in 2022 marks a more recent history: ‘The “Pocket of Deprivation” West Dulwich Housing Estate plagued with Damp and Mould’. (13) Seven decades on from its creation, the estate’s need for some updating and renovation is obvious and acknowledged. Eight five-storey blocks have recently been upgraded to improve their appearance and energy standards. (14)
In the end, perhaps it is the Dulwich Society that has provided the most apt and empathetic assessment of the Kingswood Estate. It is, as they say, ‘something of a paradox’. Much care and attention went into its layout; it remains modestly pleasant and attractive. But it is also very much marked by ‘the austerity of the time’ and the straitened circumstances of its design. (15)
Kingswood isn’t a showpiece but – a council estate built in ‘the green heart of Dulwich’ – it captures a moment when the political imperative to house the people was at its height. And while its new homes received little praise from the architectural establishment, they were a godsend to the slum-ridden and blitzed families of post-war London.
Sources
(1) ‘LCC Housing Exhibition: Post-War Flat Types’, Architects’ Journal, vol 109, no 2833, 26 May 1949
(2) Nicholas Merthyr Day, The Role of the Architect in Post-War State Housing: A Case Study of the Housing Work of the London County Council 1939-1956, University of Warwick PhD 1988
(3) ‘LCC Housing’, Architects’ Journal, vol 109, no 2834, 2 June 1949.
(4) See, amongst other sources, Tim Lewis, Consensus and Compromise – the Rise and Fall of Britain’s Post-War High-Rise Housing Initiative, Birmingham City University PhD, April 2021
(5) JM Richards, ‘London Housing’, Architects’ Journal, vol. 109, no 2822, 10 March 1949. See also a follow-up post, ‘LCC Housing: the Need for a Critical Assessment’, Architects’ Journal, vol. 109, no 2823, 17 March 1949.
(6) ‘New Town Growing Up in Dulwich’, Norwood News, 24 August 1951
(7) Evening Standard, 29 October 1956
(8) ‘Primary School’, Architects’ Journal, 13 November 1952
(9) ‘Kingsdale School, c1958’, Layers of London, The London Archives
(10) ‘Mayor First to Use the New Library – To Find Out About Peter Ustinov’, South London Observer, 20 September 1956
(11) ‘It’s All A Matter of Drink’, Norwood News, 19 July 1957
(12) Evie Flynn, ‘Kingswood Arts in Dulwich Has Been Rescued After Original Owners Stepped in io Save It from Closure’, Southwark News, 12 December 2025
(13) Herbie Russell, ‘The “pocket of deprivation” West Dulwich Housing Estate Plagued with Damp and Mould’, Southwark News, 13 December 2022
(14) Constructing Excellence, SECBE Awards, Kingswood Estate Flat Roof Blocks (2025)
(15) Dulwich Society, Kingswood, Dulwich Society Journal, Autumn 2010






































































































































